So, does your golden retriever love food? Of course he or she does! Pumpkins are a great addition to your golden’s diets.
It’s autumn here and pumpkins are everywhere. I like to buy a few over the season, and enjoy their beauty as a decoration. Then, I bake them and enjoy them.
Pumpkins are a lot like squash, in the sense that they bake in a similar way and have a similar texture, flavor and consistency to squash.
Pumpkin is a nutritious, dog-friendly food so it’s one of the many ingredients I share with my golden furbabies.
I usually like to get the smaller “sugar pumpkins” because they are easy to work with and fit in the oven. Here is a short video clip of me cooking one of these little gems.
Cooking Sugar Pumpkins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse pumpkin as you would with any vegetable.
- Place pumpkin in a baking dish.
- Poke some holes in the pumpkin to allow air to escape while baking.
- Add about 1/2 cup of water to the pan.
- Bake for about an hour or until the pumpkin is soft when you put a butter knife into it.
- Add more water during cooking if needed, using caution of course!
- Allow the pumpkin to cool, and serve in small amounts, appropriate for your own dog. Not sure what that is? Let me help!
Giving Canned Pumpkin To Your Golden Retriever
If you can’t find fresh pumpkins, or don’t feel like cooking one, canned pumpkin is an option any time of year. Please get plain pumpkin with no other ingredients or spices. Remove pumpkin from the can and place in fridge. As with many fresh foods, use fresh or canned pumpkin within 3-4 days.
Whether you use it on its own as a treat, you can add this popular fall food as a topper to your dog’s meals, or include it in a healthy recipe
This is an example of how simple it is to improve your dog’s diet using everyday ingredients found in most grocery stores.
Visit my Services page to learn how to feed your golden retriever a truly nourishing diet.
About My Support Services
I am on a mission to help you feed your dogs a healthier diet using simple, everyday foods found in most grocery stores, farm stands or elsewhere. I offer several options, which you can see on my Services page.
- Empower you
- Guide you toward healthy, easy to make foods
- Help you realize you can improve your dog’s diet without too much trouble or confusion
- Support you along the way
- Work with you to create a truly supportive, nourishing diet for your dog
If you are interested in a different setup, I will try to customize to your individual needs as much as possible. Either way, contact me to get started.
Sarah Whitman, MS
Founder, Golden Retriever Diet
A project from Dog Food Coach